Charcoal grills tend to be more portable when compared to gas or electric grills. Thus, you can take them out with you for a picnic or camping along with your friends and enjoy the smoky and grilled flavour food at affordable price.
Charcoal Grills use coals that allow you to create different cooking zones by placing coals anywhere in the grill you want. As a result, you will get perfectly charred and smoky flavoured food. You don’t get this feature in other types of grills.
Charcoal grills are easier to set up and provide you with greater temperature when compared to gas or electric grills. However, they are less convenient and not easy to control like a gas grill. But with modern technologies and new innovations, this shortcoming is also improving.
Now, you should focus on following three major factors before buying your Charcoal Grill-
- Area of grilling: This is perhaps the most important factor you should consider before buying your charcoal grill. This decides how much food you can cook in one go.So, if you have a large amount of food to grill then buy a larger grilling area Charcoal Grill else go for the smaller one. But as the grilling area increases the cost of your charcoal grill also increases.However, large grilling area also helps you in creating very important 2-zone cooking. I have explained this in our buying guide, please have a read.
- Grates: These are nothing but the grills on which you cook your food. So, you need a good heat-conducting grill for cooking your food. This will evenly cook your food.Your grate should also be long-lasting as regular heating of your grate may let it rust and peel off so always check the material of your grate and then choose it wisely.
- Access to charcoal:Easy access to charcoal helps you in better controlling the temperature of your grill. With this, you can easily add or remove the coal inside your grill. So, go for the charcoal grill that lets you do this conveniently.
Remember these 3 are important but not the only factors to consider while buying your grill. Read our Buying Guide to find out various other factors that affect the performance of your charcoal grill.
After doing a thorough research and reading various user reviews we have selected the following TOP 7 Best Charcoal Grills for you to buy
7 Best Charcoal Grills
|Charcoal grills||Grilling Area||Thermometer||Wheels at Base||Buy Now|
Charcoal Grill + Smoker
|Royal Gourmet Charcoal Grill and Offset Smoker||800 SQ.IN||Yes||Yes|
Portable Charcoal Grill
|39.4”L x 13.2”W||No||No|
Portable Charcoal Grill
7 Best Charcoal Grills Reviews
Weber brand is also called as synonymous of barbecuing innovation as they have their foothold in over 40countries in all the continents. Weber is the world’s leading provider of perfect barbeques product that includes charcoal grills also.
There 22” Kettle Charcoal Grill is nothing different. It gives you a massive cooking area of 363 sq.in. which can hold up to 13 burgers.
The cooking grate you get with it retains heat for a longer time. Further, it is hinged in shape that allows you to easily add coal while grilling.
- Rust-resistant and Adjustable Aluminium dampers let you easily control the temperature of your grill. You can completely close them to extinguish coal by cutting oxygen supply.
- You get a built-in thermometer that gives you the real-time temperature of your cooking grill. This will help you cook your food in a better way.
- The high capacity removable Ash Catcher provides you hassle-free one-touch cleaning system. It can take all the charcoal debris by sweeping into it.
- You can hang the lid on side of your grill in angled hook instead of placing it on the ground. You can also hang your grilling tools in it like spatula and tongs for quick uses.
- You get Porcelain Enameled bowl and lid. This enables them to sustain heat and they don’t rust or peel quickly.
- The Heatshield on your lid handle prevents it from getting too hot. This helps you to hold the lid easily without any fear.
- The most interesting thing is, it has durable wheels on its base that lets you take it anywhere you want.
- Using the BILT APP you can have a 3D view for learning the assembly of your Weber Char Grill.
- Built-In thermometer gives you the real-time temperature.
- Wheels make it more portable.
- Hooks on side of grills accommodate lid and other grilling tools.
- Easy to clean with help of Ash Catcher.
- Lid Hook has little space for hanging items.
- Ash Can is difficult to remove.
KAMADO brand is known for its better performing and long-lasting grills. They focus on producing new innovations so that you get more out of your grilling session.
Their KJ23RH Charcoal grill gives you the cooking area of 245 sq.in. It provides you 2 tier divide and conquer flexible cooking system that gives you hassle-free cooking.
- It has a cast iron air vent on top using which you can control the airflow inside your grill. This helps you regulate the cooking temperature of your food from 225F to 750F.
- The Slide-Out Ash Tray helps you to easily clean the ash debris of coals. Just Slide it out, dump your ash and start grilling again.
- With one grate you can grill, bake or smoke. You can also convert your grill into a pizza oven for making pizza.
- It has a powerful motor that can spin upto 20pounds of food material for 360° cooking. This lets you cook your food completely.
- Multiple cooking surfaces like cast iron grills, griddles and soap stones, allow you to cook and have different kind of foods and flavours respectively.
- It is equipped with advanced multi-piece firebox (AMP). This retains the heat for a longer time which lets you grill easily.
- Felt Gasket provides an airtight seal to grill, and you don’t feel annoyed due to continuous movement of the grill.
- You can also check and control the temp. of your grill from anywhere with the help of your smart device. It further has a built-in thermometer for temperature reading.
- You get a grill cover to protect your charcoal grill from any kind of stains.
- Versatile cooking experience.
- Gasket for proper fitting of the grill.
- Motor spins food for all-round cooking.
- Slide Out Ashtray helps easy cleaning of ash.
- Grill cover protects your grilling machine.
- Hook is not there to place grilling tools.
- Cooking area is small.
MASTERBUILT has over 45years of experience in the grilling industry. With a mission to provide you with innovative and long-lasting products, they have developed faith for themselves in their customers.
If you are looking for more user-friendly, modern and easy to use charcoal grill then MASTERBUILT 560 series is made dedicatedly for you only. You can set the temperature on the digital control panel and that will be maintained by the digital fan of your machine.
- It provides you with the massive cooking area of 560 sq.in. which can accommodate upto 21burgers.
- Your grill can reach upto 225F in 7minutes and 700F in just 13minutes, allowing you to cook your food instantly.
- Built-in temperature gauge gives you the real-time temperature of your grill.
- Gravity-fed hopper allows you to add 10pounds of coal pieces to it at one time. You can then use it for 12-15hrs.
- Your grill is wi-fi and Bluetooth enabled. Using this you can directly monitor and control the temperature of your grill from your smartphone with the help of MASTERBUILT APP.
- It has wheels as on base that allows you to move it easily from one place to another.
- More user friendly.
- Gets heated in quick time.
- Very large cooking area.
- Retains heat for a longer period.
- Some customers found poor customer support.
- Material used is found poor, by some customers.
This is the 2nd charcoal grill by KAMADO in our list of best charcoal grills for you. If you are looking for a small size charcoal grill then KAMADO KOOKER CHARCOAL GRILL is the right choice for you. It provides you with a small 153sq.in. of cooking area with cast iron grates.
KAMADO COOKER is tripled wall which helps it in retaining and maintaining temperatures ranging from 200F-700F, this lets you grill, sear or roast your food the way you want.
- It has insulated design that helps to retain more heat, less use of coal and greater temperatures.
- It has dual dampers at top and bottom that lets you control the airflow effectively. This gives you the temperature you want.
- Inbuilt temperature gauge gives you the temperature inside your grill.
- You get the ASH DUMP PAN for easy and fast cleaning of ashes. You just need to slide it out for dumping.
- It provides you with two durable handles for easy portability and grilling on the go. Further its short sturdy legs keep your grill steady while grilling.
- It is built with 22gauge steel that provides a long life to your charcoal grill.
- Its exterior finish is powder-coated steel and interior finish is porcelain coated steel. This makes it withstand high temperatures.
- Triple wall makes it retain high temperatures.
- Two handles for better holding and portability.
- Dual Dampers allow for a better temp. control.
- 22gauge steel makes it last longer.
- Very small area for cooking.
- No wheels at the base make it difficult to move.
True to their name “Gourmet”, which means the quality of food and enjoyment of eating. Royal Gourmet has provided their customers with their best in class BBQ products for best eating experience.
Their ROYAL GOURMET CHARCOAL GRILL provides you with a massive cooking area of 800 sq.in. which is larger than any other product mentioned in this list. The most attractive thing which lures the customers towards it is offset smoker that gives you an additional 183 sq.in. cooking area.
- It has a side firebox with a gate, this allows to easily add charcoal into it.
- It has an ash panel which you can take out to dispose of your coal ash easily.
- You get two adjustable dampers to control the amount of airflow. This will help you regulate the temperature of your grill easily.
- It has got lifting handles that lets you adjust the distance between food grill and charcoal. It helps in the better grilling of your food.
- It also has temperature gauge mounted on its lid. This lets you remain aware of your grilling temperature.
- It has scald proof handle that remains cool forever, this helps you to take control of your grilling device efficiently.
- You get a Front side rack and underneath the rack, for storage of food or various cooking tools, you use while grilling.
- Further, hanging hooks on it gives you an easy time while grilling. As you can hang accessories to these hooks for quick use.
- Cooking grates are made of porcelain which retains heat evenly. This lets your meat become internally juicy and tender.
- Your charcoal grill comes with two wheels on the base for easy movement around your backyard and other patios.
- Largest cooking area of 800 sq.in.
- 2-in-1, Grilling as well as offset smoker.
- Scald proof handle does not get heated.
- Multiple heat control ways like lifting handle, dampers etc.
- Only two wheels at the base make it difficult to move.
- Can withstand temperature upto 400F only.
If you are a travelling enthusiast who loves camping and eating grilled food.Then you must try having this Foldable BBQ Charcoal Grill. The biggest reason people buy it is that all its parts can be assembled and disassembled easily. You can then carry it in a storage bag with you.
This is not the end you also get a non-stick frying pan with it, which you can place on the hot grill to cook tasty fried for you. It also provides you with a large cooking area of 39.4”L x 13.2”W, on which you can make food of 5people at once.
- This Charcoal Grill has 2 air vents in it which help your coals burn quickly and efficiently. This lets you cook your food faster and better.
- It comes with 3 shelves on which you can place your raw/cooked food, utensils and other accessories easily.
- Your charcoal grill carries handles on its side. Using this you can easily lift it and move to some other place.
- It is made up of stainless steel which is corrosion resistant. Thus, you can use it for a long time. This also lets you clean it easily just by weeping a wet cloth.
- The cooking grill net and shelves you get with it are removable which lets you clean hard stains easily.
- 2-in-1, Frying pan as well as cooking grill net.
- Easy to assemble and dis-assemble.
- Large space shelves for placing extra items.
- Stainless steel built makes it anti-corrosion.
- In-built thermometer is not there to give you temperature reading.
- Wheels are not there on base to help you slide it easily.
Cuisinart is a universally recognized brand which has been working since 1983 with a mission to help you “Savor the Good Life”. Their 14” CCG190 Charcoal Grill is a perfect match for your on the go grilling needs.
It offers you 150 sq.in. of grilling space which is enough to cook food for your small family in one go. People like this grill because of its lightweight of only 2lbs. Thus, you can carry it anywhere easily along with you.
- It has a dual air venting system that allows for better heat and temperature control. You can cook your food the way you want.
- You get a mess-free ash catcher with it that lets you dump the coal ash easily and quickly.
- Your grill features 3 secure lid locks that allow you to transport it easily and safely.
- Its firebox is enamel coated that adds strength to it and makes it durable. This also helps it in retaining heat for a longer time.
- Dual air venting system for better heat control.
- 3 lid locks for more safety.
- Enamel coating makes it durable.
- Lightweight makes it more portable.
- Thermometer is not there to tell the temperature.
- Cooking area is the smallest of all brands mentioned.
Buying Guide For Charcoal Grills
So far, we have presented you with the top 7 brands of charcoal grills that you can buy. However, all these brands differ from each other because of the features they carry with them. It becomes very important for you to know which features are suitable for you and which are not.
Otherwise, you will end up selecting the wrong charcoal grill for you that will not serve the purpose you buy it for. So read our handy buying guide to help you select the right features in your charcoal grill.
1. 2-Zone Cooking Capability/ Area Of Grilling
You are a good charcoal grill cook if you know how to create a 2-zone setup. In this, you move the food off the hot flame into a cooler area where it roasts from convection and indirect heat.
But you can only do this if you are able to push the coals to one side of your grill and the other side gets heated indirectly. For this purpose, your grill must be spacious enough to move the coals to one side. If your grill doesn’t allow 2-zone cooking, you will be handicapped.
Grates are the cooking surfaces or cooking nets on which you grill your food. Thus, they should be able to withstand high temperatures without getting damaged.
Hence go for the one which can sustain these high temperatures at the same time radiates the heat evenly to all its area for better cooking.
Cast iron grates are considered to be the good choice for charcoal grilling. However, you can also go for stainless steel grates as they conduct and radiate heat better without getting rusted.
3. Access to charcoal
Your grill will cook the best food for you if you have easy access to charcoal. It means the ability to easily add more charcoal or move the charcoal easily inside the grill.
Some grills come with a door that allows you to add more charcoal or remove from it easily. This also helps you in keeping the temperature under control.
So always check how much it is convenient to access charcoal in your choice before buying your charcoal grill.
4. Temperature control
A good cook knows the importance of controlling the heat to cook the best food. Similarly, you need to control the temperature of charcoal grills also to cook best food.
So, whenever you buy your charcoal grill lookout for all the temperature control features your grill is having. Some of them are adjustable dampers, side handles to adjust the distance between food and coal, lids with air vents etc.
LID of your charcoal grill captures the heat and retains it for a longer time to cook your food faster and better. Hence you should always look for the grill in which LID fits tighter to it. More the number of locks will increase on LID, more tightly it will fit on the grill.
Dampers present in your charcoal grill help in intake and exhaust of gases. So, make sure there are at least 2dampers in your grill to function these processes separately.
Both these also let you control the temperature by igniting the fire from intake damper or extinguishing the fire from exhaust damper.
But make sure the damper of your grill fits tightly this will allow you accurately control the temperature. You should leave the exhaust damper wide open so smoke and gases can exhaust easily.
Most of the cooking grills come with an inbuilt temperature gauge or thermometer. This helps you be aware of the real-time temperature of your cooking grill. You can then decide whether to add or remove heat from your grill to cook your food better.
Thus, having a thermometer in your grill allows you to control the heat effectively inside your grill. So, our advice to you will be to always include this feature in your purchase.
8. Ash Removal
Ash is the debris of burnt coal. It acts as an insulator, so if not removed it will absorb heat and temperature and reduce the performance of your grill.
Some grills come with a sliding ash tray, while in some you need to completely take out the grill to dispose of the ash.
Thus, you should always buy a grill which has easy to dispose ash system without affecting your grilling.
We have given you the best-selling brands of charcoal grills in the world. Apart from these we have also presented you useful buying guide reading which you can select the features you require in your charcoal grill. So, take your time and select the best brand with right features for after reading our article.
However, our top pick for you is Weber Original Kettle Premium Charcoal Grill .Weber is the world’s most popular grilling brand. This provides you with a healthy cooking area of 363 sq.in. at an affordable price.
You can also create your 2-zone cooking easily. It has also got a Rust-Resistant Aluminium damper to better control the heat and temperature of your grill.
Further it provides you with BILT APP to look for 3D assembling of your grill that helps you in setting up your grill easily. No other brand provides you with this feature.
The post The 7 Best Charcoal Grills Reviews and Buying Guide appeared first on Electronics Hub.